Posted Jan 22, 2011
You rarely see charity benefit concerts or 10K runs dedicated to eradicating gout. But here at The Quiz, we want to help foil this painful arthritic condition by pointing out its association with various foods and supplements. Take our swell quiz.
1. Researchers have analyzed data on nearly 80,000 women over 22 years from the Nurses’ Health Study and found an association between what beverage and gout?
b) Soft drinks
2. Orange juice with a high fructose level also may pose a risk. According to the Tufts University Health Letter, women with the highest fructose intake had what higher risk of gout than those with the lowest fructose intake?
a) 23 percent
b) 40 percent
c) 62 percent
3. The women in the study who drank an average of two or more sodas daily saw what level of increased gout risk?
a) 62 percent
b) 79 percent
c) 240 percent
4. According to research published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, men who consumed what amount of vitamin C supplements had a 34 percent lower gout risk than those not taking extra vitamin C?
a) 500 milligrams
b) 1,500 milligrams
c) 5,000 milligrams
5. Gout has a historical reputation of being a disease of the rich and famous, whose big toes puffed up when they overindulged. Which of the three U.S. presidents below did not suffer from the affliction?
a) Grover Cleveland
b) Bill Clinton
c) William Howard Taft
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: c; 3: c; 4: b; 5: b
Source: Tufts Health & Nutrition Update; Archives of Internal Medicine; http://www.healthinplainenglish.com/presidential-diseases/index.htm.
Back to top